This marks a key milestone for the City Deal and demonstrates the ambition of supporting business growth and creating employment opportunities.
Funds for the City Deal are provided by the UK and Scottish Governments and the eight participating local authorities across Glasgow and Clyde Valley. Money will be spread over 20 years, focused on supporting economic growth across the region.
City Deal is great news for East Renfrewshire. Our ambitious vision for the future development of the area has been enhanced and accelerated thanks to our £44 million City Deal investment. Flexible commercial units are now open for business at Crossmill Business Park and a 17-acre former factory site has been prepared for private investment, supporting business growth and providing employment opportunities. We are delighted to have two thriving local businesses already set to move in and these units will provide the additional space needed to further their expansion plans. Contractor WH Malcolm really embraced the ethos behind City Deal contracts by offering work experience placements to young apprentices, one of whom has secured a permanent job with the company. The recent World Town’s Leadership summit in Edinburgh saw leaders from across the world looking to Barrhead’s award winning transformation as a blueprint for how to regenerate towns and urban areas in their countries. It is an ideal local for business and investment.”
– Convener for infrastructure and sustainable growth, Cllr Tony Buchanan
The completion of Crossmill Business Park marks an important milestone for the Glasgow City Region. Our City Deal is ultimately about transforming the physical, social and economic landscape of the region, supporting businesses and creating jobs to grow the local and regional economy. Crossmill Business Park demonstrates that our partnership of eight member authorities is successfully delivering an ambitious programme of infrastructure, innovation and employability schemes.”
– Councillor Frank McAveety, Leader of Glasgow City Council and Chair of the Glasgow City Region City Deal Cabinet
Future City Deal projects are set to boost East Renfrewshire’s local economy. Plans are underway to:
- Improve connections between the communities of Barrhead, Newton Mearns and the M77 with enhancements to roads and planned new railway station, providing access to jobs and services.
- Transform Dams to Darnley Country Park, East Ren’s hidden gem into a must visit leisure destination with a Wake Park, Visitor Centre and Boardwalk.
- Support start-ups and micro business with the creation of Greenlaw Business Centre in Newton Mearns.
- Extend the success of Barrhead Foundry by creating additional business space, learning opportunities and other services in Barrhead town centre.