North Lanarkshire has three infrastructure projects now totaling £202 million and the £4 million business growth and innovation MediCity project
North Lanarkshire City Deal Programme
The £202m North Lanarkshire City Deal Programme has changed to include significant infrastructure to support the redevelopment of Ravenscraig. This important change allows a greater focus to deliver the full Pan Lanarkshire Orbital Transport Corridor and to prioritise the benefits from the regeneration of Ravenscraig, a nationally important development location. A number of projects however will no longer be delivered under the city deal programme.
The revised North Lanarkshire City Deal Programme includes:
- New Park & Ride within Eurocentral- in excess of 200 new spaces supporting public transport on strategic routes and enhancing sustainable access to key employment locations. It will help to facilitate a more extensive public transport provision, improving accessibility and social inclusion, and assisting journeys along the A8/M8 corridor.
- New Roundabout @ Orchard Farm (A8) - This will open up commercial development (and support the Mossend Railhead Freight Park - levering in significant private sector investment) and improving freight facilities across the wider region. This is the project with the most significant economic benefits as a result of the employment opportunities Mossend could create in the future.
The Holytown Link Road will no longer be delivered as part of the North Lanarkshire City Deal Programme.
- Gartcosh Business Park to Glenboig Link Road - The completed (summer 2018) new link road with adjoining shared-use footway/cycleway, enables the future development of the Gartcosh/Glenboig Community Growth Area and supports Gartcosh Business Park. It delivers increased accessibility to the core road network and to Gartcosh Station. It is helping to address social exclusion by providing a more direct route to the station from Glenboig and will also enhance personal security for pedestrians and cyclists who may have concerns about using the adjacent remote cycle path during darkness to access Gartcosh Station.
The A80 Link Road, Gartsherrie Freightliner Link Road (&M73 Junction 2a Improvement) and Gartcosh Station Park and Ride will not be delivered as part of the North Lanarkshire City Deal Programme.
- East Airdrie Link Road - new single carriageway from Carfin/Newhouse to Stand to provide an alternative and more direct north-south route, providing integration with the local and trunk road networks, improving air quality by reducing traffic volumes and congestion of the A73, particularly through the AQMA in Chapelhall;
- Motherwell Town Centre Transport Interchange (Muir Street) - a new Motherwell Station access lane, increased bus capacity and public realm improvements including cycling and pedestrian arrangements to improve bus service efficiency, active travel and accessibility to the public transport network, helping to tackle social inclusion for those without access to a private car. This will complement proposed investment by Scotrail Alliance and SPT in Motherwell Station and SPT funding in increasing park and ride provision.
- Ravenscraig Infrastructure Access- new road infrastructure to linkM74 to M8 as part of the Pan Lanarkshire Corridor including a new dual carriageway within Ravenscraig, a new crossing over the West Coast Main Line railway, significant junction improvements at Airbles Road/Windmillhil Street and Airbles Road/Hamilton Road and completing the dualing of Airbles Road to enable the redevelopment of Ravenscraig and create a north south route connecting communities, employment sites and enhancing connectivity to the wider city region.
MediCity Scotland is a dedicated medical technology incubation facility based at Biocity Scotland Ltd in Newhouse. The state-of-the-art facility is a physical hub for new and existing medical technology and healthcare businesses in Scotland and will be a focus for expertise in the sector.
For further information and updates visit the North Lanarkshire Council website.
To discuss North Lanarkshire Council City Deal contract opportunities, contact: Dorothy Balfour, Enterprise Category Manager on phone - 01236 632616 or via email - BalfourD@northlan.gov.uk