About City Deal
Over £1 billion investment for the Glasgow City Region
Eight neighbouring local authorities across Glasgow and the Clyde Valley have secured the second largest City Deal in the UK.
The Glasgow City Region City Deal will fund major infrastructure projects; create thousands of new jobs and assist thousands of unemployed people back to work; improve public transport and connectivity; drive business innovation and growth and generate billions of pounds of private sector investment.
The City Deal will support the local area to achieve its shared long-term vision for the local economy through:
- Improved infrastructure - £1.13 billion fund to support the delivery of an improved transport network across Glasgow and the Clyde Valley, key development and regeneration sites and improved public transport.
- Growth in life sciences - establishment of world class research and development and commercialisation facilities.
- Supporting business innovation - providing additional business incubator and grow-on space for entrepreneurs across the region enabling more small and medium enterprises to grow.
- Tackling unemployment - creation of thousands of new jobs and establishment of programmes to provide targeted support to 16-24 year olds and vulnerable residents, and testing new ways of boosting the incomes of people on low wages to make them more self-reliant.
Transforming the physical and social landscape
Over its lifetime the City Deal will:
- Support an overall increase in the economy of around 29,000 jobs.
- Work with 19,000 unemployed residents and support over 5,500 back into sustained work.
- Secure £1 billion of Scottish and UK Government capital funding.
- Lever in an estimated £3.3 billion of private sector investment.
- Deliver £2.2 billion in additional Gross Value Added (GVA) per annum (a 4% uplift) across the city region.
- Spread the benefits of economic growth across the whole Region, ensuring deprived areas benefit.
The Glasgow City Region is one of the largest city regions in the UK.
Well-connected globally, with access to two international airports and nationally to extensive rail and road infrastructure, it provides 33% of the nation's jobs and is home to over 29% of Scottish businesses.
The region benefits from numerous assets:
- Access to a highly skilled workforce of 1.2 million across a wide range of industries.
- Existing strengths in a number of sectors including financial services, life sciences, engineering, manufacturing and creative and media industries
- Home to a number of internationally acclaimed successful universities and research institutes that provide the space for innovation and the people who drive the region's development.
At the region's heart is Glasgow, Scotland's city of style, where you can find world-class attractions, stunning architecture and one of the best city centre shopping experiences in the UK. Beyond the city, you'll find lush countryside, great family days out and a wealth of fascinating history as you follow the path of the River Clyde.
The City Deal is an agreement between the UK Government, the Scottish Government and eight local authorities across Glasgow and the Clyde Valley.
The eight participating member authorities are East Dunbartonshire Council, East Renfrewshire Council, Glasgow City Council, Inverclyde Council, North Lanarkshire Council, Renfrewshire Council, South Lanarkshire Council and West Dunbartonshire Council.
Latest news and events
You can contact the City Deal PMO Team by email on email@example.com or in writing at the address below:Glasgow City Region City Deal Programme Management Office
Glasgow City Council
Room 2.29, 20 Cochrane Street
Glasgow G2 1DU